Saturday, November 28, 2009

Howroo???




Here are some of the Peace Corps Math/Science volunteers Stacey, Whitney, Christine, Margaret and me walking on the road to my house. We usually get chai and chapati at a restaurant in town after a long day of Swahili class and technical training.




And this is a very happy picture of me…why? Because Stacey and I just cooked fajitas and guacamole. It was delicious! Although, my host family was not as excited about it as we were. They thought guacamole was “interesting.” Haha. Tomorrow I am going to make spaghetti for them to try…maybe they will like it better.



This is the beautiful view of Mount Kilimanjaro that I am lucky enough to wake up to every morning. Loitokitok is very close to the Tanzanian border and is at the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Hopefully, when Mom and Rob come to visit me next year we will be able to climb up it (it takes one week to reach the top!).



Where ever we go, there is sure to be a swarm of Kenyan children. While they are cute, the incessant screams of “Howroooooo?”( “How are you?” screamed as one long high pitched question) does get annoying. This is a group of children that followed us as we went on an evening walk.

2 comments:

  1. Hakuna Matata...that's the only swahili phrase I know. I'm glad to hear (and see) that you are doing well. Kenya doesn't look anything like I expected; it's so much greener than I imagined. Anyway, I really look forward to reading your blog entries. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were very near that area when we went to Africa with your family and the Lairds - always was amazed at the site of Mt Kilminjaro each morning when we woke up! I always dreamed of climbing it so will now live thru your experiences - so glad you are doing well! Michele

    ReplyDelete